Very Simple Herbed Chicken Pasta SoupPosted: August 23, 2011
I love having soups for lunch – they are light, delicious and most importantly will not put to me to sleep after the meal (especially during work :)). I used to buy canned soup for the convenience of a ready meal after 3 minutes of reheating. As I read the sodium levels on the nutrition label, I decided to make my own. I read some recipes online and came up with this as my freestyle cooking – not following a recipe. The ingredients are very simple: vegetables, chicken broth, chicken, pasta and herbs. I like the using herbs in my soup as they brighten up the flavours. I also used lemon to add a bit of refreshing flavour as well.
Makes 8 – 10 servings.
(I didn’t follow a recipe – adjust portions however you like!)
- 2 pieces of Chicken Breast
- 1 cup Dried Pasta (I used small bow ties), cooked, drained and rinsed
- 5 – 6 Celery Stalks, diced
- 2 medium-sized Carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- herb bouquet – a sprig of rosemary, 2 sprigs of thyme and sage,
tied together with a piece of cotton string
*If you do not like herbs, omit them.
- 2 cans of Chicken Broth (375 mL each)
- 2.5 – 3 L water
- Juice of ¼ of a lemon
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, cook, let cool and dice.
*I seared my chicken to add extra flavour but it is not necessary.
- Cook pasta in lightly salted water, drain and rinse.
- Wash vegetables and dice.
- Bring chicken broth and water to a boil with the herb bouquet, add vegetables and simmer at medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add cooked pasta and chicken, simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Fish out herb bouquet, add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Soup is served!
This soup is super easy to make, yummy and good for you – just requires a bit of vegetable chopping. I am ditching the canned stuff for good. 8)